- Consult with the Type Designer on font encoding issues
- Understand enough linguistics to work with the Script Expert
- Have expert knowledge in the technical/programming aspects of, and tools for, building "smart fonts"
- Support other aspects of writing system implementation
- Attend workshops and conferences to maintain an understanding of relevant technological developments, to provide technical support and to strengthen relationships with people working for other organizations.
- Synthesize and communicate needs and research
- Articulate design decisions
- Participate as an integral and enthusiastic part of the team, exhibiting ownership, follow-through, initiative, awareness, and effective communication with peers and management.
- Work with the team around a cohesive product roadmap
- Propose refinements to processes and systems for design and user research
- Contribute to the development of team culture
- Participate in regular project status, planning, partnership, and strategic meetings
- Be available to travel to meet with the larger development team at least once per year
- Be available to travel biannually to the Language Technology Conference
- Participate in professional conferences and meetings
Script Engineers should have familiarity with writing systems technology, such as fonts and keyboards, and orthography development. They should also have a broad understanding of the Unicode encoding standard. A Bachelor’s degree in graphic arts, computer graphics, or equivalent work experience is preferred, but we care more for a heart and mind that are always learning. Sociolinguistic exposure and multicultural experience are helpful.
- A servant heart attitude
- Demonstrated skills in type design
- Good interpersonal skills of communication
- Good organizational skills
- The ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- The ability to work both with a team and independently, and to multitask effectively
Dallas, TX - Founded in 1934
SIL is a global, faith-based nonprofit that works with local communities around the world to develop language solutions that expand possibilities for a better life.
Our faith inspires and informs our commitment to expand possibilities for people to thrive. We believe all people are created by God and given language as a means for flourishing. Through language, we understand who we are, experience relationships and explore life’s most important questions.