- Maintaining the existing documentation
- Planning and designing major updates and rewrites of user-focused documentation
- Planning and designing major updates and rewrites of developer documentation
- Selecting appropriate tools to manage documentation over the long term
- Selecting appropriate systems to support translation of documentation into a variety of languages
- Meeting with Language Technology staff and field personnel to understand documentation needs
- Participating as an integral and enthusiastic part of the team, exhibiting ownership, follow-through, initiative, awareness, and effective communication with peers and management
- Working with the team around a cohesive product roadmap
- Participate in regular project status, planning, partnership, and strategic meetings
- Be available to travel to meet with the larger development team at least once per year
- Be available to travel biannually to the Language Technology Conference
- Participate in professional conferences and meetings
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A servant heart attitude
- Demonstrated experience in writing technical documentation
- Demonstrated experience in documentation tools
- Adaptability and the ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Good interpersonal skills of communication
- Good organizational skills
- The ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- The ability to generate multiple solutions to the problem
- The ability to quickly pick up technical concepts
- The ability to work both with a team and independently, and to multitask effectively
Education and Experience:
Technical Writers need experience in writing technical documentation. Successful candidates should also have experience conducting research for their clients. Bachelor's degree in communications, professional writing, or equivalent work experience is preferred, but we care more for a heart and mind that are always learning.
Training and Orientation:
Will complete the initial IT Software Department training program and relevant portions of IT Orientation.
Dallas, TX - Founded in 1934
SIL is a global, faith-based nonprofit that works with local communities around the world to develop language solutions that expand possibilities for a better life.
Our faith inspires and informs our commitment to expand possibilities for people to thrive. We believe all people are created by God and given language as a means for flourishing. Through language, we understand who we are, experience relationships and explore life’s most important questions.