- Provide expert leadership in the language technology domain within the area of assignment
- Recommend and oversee the implementation of language technology strategies
- Provide expert-level user support for language technology tools
- Mentor Language Technology Specialists
- Ensure that advanced bugs and usability issues are reported back to developers
- Be available to travel for international training events and workshops
- Be available to travel to meet with the larger department team at least once per year
- Be available to travel biennially to the Language Technology Conference
- Participate in professional conferences and meetings
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong understanding of phonetics, phonology, and grammar principles
- Ability to evaluate and configure advanced language technology solutions.
- Strong interpersonal and consulting skills, with a focus on cross-cultural understanding
- Good organizational skills
- The ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- The ability to generate multiple solutions to the problem
- The ability to quickly pick up technical concepts
- The ability to work both with a team and independently, and to multitask effectively
Education and Experience:
Language Technology Consultants should have formal training in phonetics, phonology, grammar, and literacy. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, linguistics, communications, or equivalent work experience is preferred, but we care more for a heart and mind that are always learning.
Training and Orientation:
Will complete the initial IT Software Department training program and relevant portions of IT Orientation. The consultant will attend an annual Language Technology Consultant training course. Ongoing mentorship from an existing Language Technology Consultant.
Dallas, TX - Founded in 1934
SIL is a global, faith-based nonprofit that works with local communities around the world to develop language solutions that expand possibilities for a better life.
Our faith inspires and informs our commitment to expand possibilities for people to thrive. We believe all people are created by God and given language as a means for flourishing. Through language, we understand who we are, experience relationships and explore life’s most important questions.