- Align all Development work with the ministry's Theology of Development:
- An understanding that the role of faith and discipleship in giving drives interactions with donors, potential donors, the team and the wider SIL organization.
- The donor experience is representative of SIL's commitment to human flourishing, and the donor's engagement with SIL is supporting their personal journey towards spiritual growth and generosity.
- Donor engagement integrates a foundation of dependence on God in prayer.
- Encourage a culture of generosity and philanthropy across the organization.
- Develop and implement a multi-year strategic fundraising plan to identify and cultivate existing and new giving partner relationships from internal and external constituencies, building upon the current giving partner base to create new giving opportunities for all supporters.
- Build, train, and lead an effective Development Team of board members, staff, and other volunteers who are strong advocates for Biblical giving.
- Provide leadership to establish and cultivate relationships with giving partners that draw them in community to deeper engagement with and long-term commitment to the organization's mission.
- Coordinate and execute donor experiences to deepen relationships and foster a sense of community among major donors.
- Meet donor expectations through smooth and accurate financial transactions, timely gift receipting, and responsive communications.
- Establish Development goals and objectives aligned with a kingdom approach to fundraising and SIL's Global Plan.
- Specific attention on diverse fundraising opportunities in Western markets and outside of traditional Bible translation-related donor segments already saturated by partner organizations in North America.
- Lead the Development Team to meet and exceed these goals and objectives.
- Develop and execute the fundraising strategy to significantly grow the annual fund in the short term while diversifying the giving partner base toward long-term funding of the organization's identified priorities through major gifts, capital campaigns, and planned giving.
- Build team capacity to solidify gains, add new functionality and tap into new markets, as we move from startup to robust Development function.
- Develop fundraising programs utilizing board members, staff, and volunteers in key roles.
- Particular focus on executing a comprehensive major gift strategy, including managing and participating in a team of Major Gift Officers, with a personal caseload of donors and prospects.
- Coordinate the role of SIL senior leaders in fundraising through the engagement of an Executive Level Gift Officer.
- Ensure SIL fundraising activities operate in a complementary and collaborative fashion to advance SIL's mission, vision and differentiation
- with Global Marketing Communications in development of the website, case statements, collateral, impact reports, appeal letters, campaigns and events.
- with the team responsible for organizational units receiving project funds and responsible for reporting, with clear expectations on steps required for initial proposal and follow through.
- with Bible translation partners (e.g. Wycliffe USA, Wycliffe Global Alliance, The Seed Company) and major alliances and networks (e.g. ETEN/IllumiNations) ---including complying with any relevant MOUs or agreements.
- Provide reporting on established metrics to executive leadership.
- Manage the financial development budget, ensuring resources are efficiently utilized.
- Pursue cohesion with the teams responsible for the global Advancement plan to develop other revenue sources, including reinforcing the shared responsibility for SIL's revenue across the organization.
- Monitor industry trends and shifts within the giving partner community.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to articulate and exemplify a Biblical approach to fundraising, integrating donor transformation and ministry impact.
- Confident in the ability to build endearing rapport, tell the story, and make every giving partner feel valued.
- Has comprehensive understanding of fundraising processes:
- Articulating and updating the vision, values, and mission of SIL through a compelling Case for Support.
- Leading efforts to research potential giving partners' capacity, interests, and giving history.
- Making invitation visits with giving partners including proposal writing and timely following up.
- Thanking giving partners and providing personalized impact reports.
- Overseeing grant requests and post‐award reports with all required documentation.
- Using & maintaining a giving partner database, including tracking giving partner activity to notice opportunities.
- Organizing and centralizing all direct mail and social media campaigns from concept to design to thank you.
- Overseeing the management of events as part of a unified plan.
- High degree of emotional intelligence and exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills, with an emphasis on engaged, active listening.
- Excellent communication skills, able to authentically represent the organization's mission and tell our story genuinely and positively, in person, by phone, and in writing.
- Mature Christian with a deep personal faith and a passion for the mission and work of SIL.
- Positive and engaging team player, willing to be a hands-on team member while also driving growth and expanding capacity that leads to shifts in responsibilities and opportunities for staff growth.
- Flexible, willing to work evening hours and travel regionally and globally as needed.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills and self-motivation.
- Collaborator who can seamlessly create and unify existing and new networks of people and programs, who seeks diverse perspectives and has a cultural agility that values global contributions. Sensitivity to current organizational culture, and a humble learner mindset.
Education and Experience:
- Career, business, or entrepreneurial experience relevant to understanding the significance of quality giving partner relationships.
- Direct experience in kingdom fundraising is not a must but a plus, including annual funding, major gifts, and capital campaigns; planned giving knowledge and experience an added value.
- Strong knowledge of the U.S. funding market as well as global perspective. Ideally have experience with an international NGO.
Training and Orientation:
- Extensive orientation to the position and the organization.
- Ongoing professional development and participation with professional associations.
Dallas, TX - Founded in 1934
SIL is a global, faith-based nonprofit that works with local communities around the world to develop language solutions that expand possibilities for a better life.
Our faith inspires and informs our commitment to expand possibilities for people to thrive. We believe all people are created by God and given language as a means for flourishing. Through language, we understand who we are, experience relationships and explore life’s most important questions.