We are looking for a Data Scientist to work on real-world problems in Natural language processing (NLP) and speech/voice. This includes extending and improving on NLP models and methods using pooled language/voice data from SIL and its partners (in 600+ languages). The output of this work will be applied by SIL, other NGOs, and commercial entities in technology/content creation for local language communities.
Participate in research in machine intelligence and machine learning applications
Develop solutions for real world natural language processing problems
Help curate and pre-process pooled data from SIL and its partners such that is can be utilized in NLP/ML/AI research and development
Advise and collaborate with SIL Data Scientist(s)
- Foundational math, especially statistics, calculus, and linear algebra
- "classical" NLP tasks and tools (such as syntactic and semantic parsing, semantic relations extraction, co-reference resolution) and/or "deep-learning style" NLP (such as RNNs, CNNs, attention-based models, and word embeddings)
- Write code in some language, and the desire to work with Python and ML frameworks: PyTorch or Tensorflow
- Interface with infrastructure (e.g., via the command line, cloud consoles, Bash, REST APIs, etc.)
- Effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical teams
- Committed to upholding professional standards
- Demonstrating the highest level of ethical behavior
- Interacting positively and collaborating as a member or leader of a team, with respect toward various differing perspectives
- Able to work and communicate effectively across cultures
- Doing the right things in the right way for the right reasons
- Consistently ready to learn and grow
EducationUndergraduate degree in a quantitative field (e.g., Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Statistics) or equivalent experience is preferred
Hands on experience implementing or utilizing NLP methods for tasks such as NER, sentiment analysis, machine translation, tokenization, PoS tagging, etc. strongly desired
Hands on experience with Python and its suite of NLP tools (NLTK, SpaCy, etc.) strongly desired
Dallas, TX - Founded in 1934
SIL is a global, faith-based nonprofit that works with local communities around the world to develop language solutions that expand possibilities for a better life.
Our faith inspires and informs our commitment to expand possibilities for people to thrive. We believe all people are created by God and given language as a means for flourishing. Through language, we understand who we are, experience relationships and explore life’s most important questions.